Rare - 100% numbers matching M-code 440 'Cuda including engine, transmission, radiator support, trunk rail, dash vin, fender tag, and clear title (in hand). Also true to the car is the original owners manual, partial broadcast sheet, and "Cuda 440 Special Warranty" letter from Chyrsler/Plymouth to the original dealership, dated Feb 7, 1969.
Recently added to Galen's registry and fender tag decoded by Galen, this is a 1 of 1, very rare R6 Scorch Red Exterior on R6 Scorch Red interior. The ONLY one of its kind. This car is also listed in the 440 'Cuda Registry.
History of production:
Plymouth built 358 of these m-code 440 'Cudas for the US and Canadian markets, all of which were 727 Torqueflite automatics with no power steering and no power brakes (to stuff that massive motor into an A body). They were not considered a regular production vehicle, rather a special "Fleet Build" process through Hurst/Campbell where a combination of 358 fastback and notchbacks were pulled from the Hamtramck, MI assembly line to be fitted for the 440 Super Commando. This required a modified drivers side motor mount as well as exhaust manifold to squeeze the heart into this beast. The car was rated at 375hp, 480 ft-lbs torque, and clocked a staggering 13.89 quarter mile time at 103.21 mph. These cars were delivered with the same limited 12-month/12,000 mile warranty that came with 426 HEMI cars.
History of this car:
This car was purchased new in 1969 at Whitey's Chrysler/Plymouth in Mansfield OH. The original owner (local to the area) put 25,000 miles on it in the first 3 years before passing away. From there, the car sat until the late 90's when it was purchased and stored for another 14 years by a local man. One final change of hands took place, to another local owner who performed a meticulous rotisserie restoration, finishing in early 2017. This is an original 25,000 mile car, with each owner having lived within 30 miles of one another from 1969 to 2017 and always titled in OH until I purchased last year.
- All original drive train was disassembled and restored
- Underside was blasted and re-coated, with factory correct grey dip along with undercoating applied to wheel wells as was done originally
- 440 Super Commando was bored .030 over
- 727 Torqueflite disassembled and cleaned
- 8 3/4 rear end with 3:55 gear ration disassembled, cleaned, restored with all factory goodies
- Original carburetor cleaned and rebuilt
- Original air cleaner
- Original radiator with new core per OE specs, correct replacement hoses and heater core
- New fuel sending unit
- New quick ration steering gear box 16:1
- HD leaf springs rebuilt, new rubber bushings
- All front suspension rebuilt, new rubber bushings
- Mopar yellow cap battery
- Correct regatta red suede dash paint on dash, steering column, and rear divider
- New headliner, insulation, and padding
- New dash pad, legendary seat covers front and rear
- New flocking on rear fold down divider and new carpet throughout
- Restored instrument cluster - all original gauges work including factory tach
- Restored wiper motor, linkage assembly, pivots, and seals
- All original glass except windshield
- Correct PPG single stage dimension paint
- New BF Goodrich Silvertown redline radials
- Original restored painted wheels
If you have any questions, please call or text me at (646)771-three zero one zero